Apr. 2003 to
Tips for Linking to My Site
Most webmasters ask that people link to their "home" page. And, I certainly don't mind that. But I also encourage people to link directly to one of my other pages.
For example, I actively promote my Multiple Sclerosis pages and encourage people to link directly there. And my page on the copyright issues of Search engines (Search engine Disputes) has also been a frequent target of links. And, most recently, my COPPA Compliance Statement (COPPA Cabana) has been linked by writers
discussing this new law.
So, if you'd like to link directly to one of my "deeper" pages, go right ahead.
I've just got a couple suggestions and requests. Of course, they are just suggestions and requests: (I've never denied anyone permission just because they couldn't incorporate all of these.)
- Please link as "high" in my hierarchy as is appropriate. For example, if you are linking to my Multiple Sclerosis pages, I'd like you to link to the "first" or "primary" page of that set.
- If you link to my primary "home" page, I'd like you to list it as
James S. Huggins' Refrigerator Door
- If you link to a page deeper in my site, I'd like you to list it with as much detail as possible. For example, if you are linking to my Multiple Sclerosis Pages, these would be my preferences, in descending order:
James S. Huggins' Refrigerator Door: Multiple Sclerosis Pages
James S. Huggins' Refrigerator Door: Multiple Sclerosis
James S. Huggins' Refrigerator Door: MS Pages
James S. Huggins' Multiple Sclerosis Pages
James S. Huggins' MS Pages
Huggins' MS Pages
- When you print my name, please include my middle initial "S.". (It has importance to me for family reasons.)
- When you construct the possessive form of my name, please place the apostrophe after the "s" at the end and do not add an additional "s". This helps conform with the formal "title" of my site.
- Note that in the example above I say "Pages" and not "Site". This is because these Multiple Sclerosis pages are just a part of a much larger and much more inclusive website, my Refrigerator Door. The same would be true of you link to another page or set of pages.
- When you link to any page on my site, I'd appreciate you letting me know. I like to (try to) keep track of these things.
- If any of these pose a problem at all, remember, they are just my suggestions and requests. Do what you can, and go ahead and link. I've never denied anyone permission just because they couldn't incorporate all of these.
- Finally, if you have any questions or special requests, or if you have a link (yours?) that you'd like to suggest for me, don't hesitate to email me and ask. I'd love to hear from you. And if you suggest your link to me, be sure to give me your requests and suggestions for the link.
Thanks again for linking to my site. I appreciate your efforts to share it with those who visit your site.
James S. Huggins